The Catacombs of St. Stephen’s Cathedral: Private 2.5-hour Tour
Discover one of Vienna's most iconic and recognizable landmarks on a private guided tour of St. Stephen's Cathedral and its underground Catacombs located in the heart of the city's historic district.
On your private guided tour, you will:
- See Stephansplatz, the 'kilometre zero' of the Austrian capital and the main square of Vienna's historic Centre;
- Admire the magnificent St. Stephen's Cathedral, possibly Vienna's most popular highlight;
- Enjoy a guided visit of the main highlights - with tickets included;
- See the High Altar, an impressive example of Baroque architecture, located at the east end of the cathedral;
- Learn about the Pummerin Bell, the largest bell in Austria, located in the north tower with a weight of 20,000 kilograms;
- Visit the interior chapels including the Chapel of the Holy Cross, the Chapel of St. Eligius and the Chapel of St. Catherine;
- Descend to the underground to explore its famed Crypts containing the remains of over 11,000 people, including members of the Habsburg royal family;
- Join a guided tour of the Catacombs with tickets included;
- Pass by the hidden St. Virgil’s Chapel, a subterranean thirteen-century chapel discovered in 1973, currently closed for restoration;
- Hear about the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalena which was built above the chapel with its outlines still visible today at Stephansplatz;
- Enjoy a guided visit to the adjacent Middle Ages Museum before heading again to the ground level;
- Your tour will conclude in the heart of the Old Town at Stephansplatz.
From the glory of medieval times to the contemporary splendour of the present, Vienna is world-renowned for its dazzling, grandiose historical buildings of stucco, marble, gold leaf, and ornate stone.
On your private guided tour, you will get insider information about one of Vienna’s most iconic sites, St. Stephen's Cathedral.
Its colourful roof tiles - laid to create the Royal and Imperial double-headed eagle and Vienna coat of arms - are a much-loved symbol of the city. Enjoy a guided tour of the cathedral, and then descend to explore its catacombs and crypts, where over 10,000 are buried, and remain in use today.
See the burial place of the Austrian archbishops and bishops, as well as the crypt where the urns containing the internal organs of the former archdukes of the Habsburg Dynasty are kept.
Afterwards, head outside the Cathedral for a guided visit to St. Virgil's Chapel, an underground thirteen-century chapel discovered in 1973 during the construction of the subway and integrated into the station (currently closed for restoration).
Your tour finishes at the heart of the Old Town at Stephansplatz where your guide will give you further recommendations on what to see next!