Vienna Half Day Walking Tour, St Stephen’s Cathedral and Catacombs
This fascinating half-day highlights tour will take you to Vienna’s most compelling attractions in a city crowded with glittering gilded palaces, monuments, bronze statues, grand mansions, and dome-topped royal buildings. On your private tour of Vienna, you will:
- Enjoy the personalised attention of your private licensed guide.
- Be thoroughly oriented in the city's historic center, ideal for families and first-time visitors!
- Enjoy seeing some of Vienna's most important cultural and political sites, including Rathausplatz (City Hall Square)
- Maria Theresien Platz, Heldenplatz (Heroes Square), the Hofburg Presidential Palace, and Mozart's House.
- Enter inside the magnificent St. Stephen's Cathedral, possibly Vienna's most recognizable landmark – with tickets included.
- Descend under the Cathedral to explore its famed Crypts and Catacombs – with tickets included.
- Explore the old Jewish district, home to the haunting Holocaust Monument, also known as the "Nameless Library"
- End the tour at the famed Anker clock, if you book the 9 am start time, you will be there just in time to hear the clock chime and admire the 12 historical figures parade in front of the clock face!
From the glory of medieval times to the contemporary splendor of the present, Vienna is world-renowned for its dazzling, grandiose historical buildings of stucco, marble, gold leaf, and ornate stone. On your private walking tour, you will see Vienna’s most important cultural and political sites, including City Hall Square, Heroes’ Square, and Mozart’s House.
Then, your tour continues at the seat of Vienna’s Archbishop, and one of Austria’s most important Gothic structures, St. Stephen's colourful roof tiles - laid to create the Royal and Imperial double-headed eagle and Vienna coat of arms - is a much-loved symbol of the city. Enjoy a guided tour of the cathedral, and then descend to explore its catacombs and crypts, where over 10,000 are buried, and remains in use today. See the burial place of the Austrian archbishops and bishops, as well as the crypt where the urns containing the internal organs of the former archdukes of the Habsburg Dynasty are kept.
Afterwards you will walk through the old Jewish District, and learn stories about the city’s history during World War II. Then, your tour finishes at the famed Anker clock, where you’ll have the chance to see some of its historical figures. This private walking tour is the perfect orientation for a first-timer in Vienna, and suitable for people of all ages.