Welcome to New York City: Private Half-Day Highlights Walking TourPrivate Tour
Explore New York City's most popular highlights in midtown Manhattan, including the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, Times Square, 5th Avenue and more, on this half-day walking tour
What makes this tour special
Welcome to New York City, The Big Apple, The City that never sleeps! This fabulous private tour of the highlights of NYC in midtown Manhattan will ensure you see all the very best this vibrant city has to offer, from the famous department store Saks with its dazzling window displays on 5th Avenue, to the bright lights of Broadway and Times Square, and everything in between. Your expert private guide will ensure you see some of the city’s most iconic landmarks and skyscrapers such as the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings, as well as more historic places like St Patrick’s Cathedral.
On your private tour, you will:
- Begin your tour on the iconic Lexington Avenue - known locally as ‘Lex’ and walk to your first stop the Chrysler building;
- Hear all about the history and formation, architecture and culture of New York City and the borough of Midtown Manhattan;
- Walk through the romantic Grand Central Terminal and stop outside the magnificent Empire State Building;
- Pass by the lions by New York Public Library and tranquil Bryant Park;
- Enjoy the vibrant ambience and glittering lights of Times Square and explore Broadway: the world-famous musical theatre district;
- Walk up the iconic Fifth Avenue and pass by Saks one of the world’s most spectacular department stores;
- Admire the impressive Neo-Gothic St Patrick’s Cathedral (from the outside) - the city’s beacon of Catholicism since 1878 - a historic contrast to the modernity of NYC;
- Stop by Radio City Music Hall, still the country's leading venue for popular concerts and media events;
- Wander into Rockefeller Plaza and admire some of NYC’s best architectural and art deco masterpieces including the Rockefeller Centre known as ‘The Rock’ and Lawrie’s statue of Atlas;
- End your tour at the Rockefeller Center where you can continue to explore this iconic neighbourhood at your own pace.
Your tour begins on Lexington Avenue - known to locals as simply Lex - and you’ll walk towards some of the most iconic architectural masterpieces of New York City. Your first stop is the Chrysler Building, considered by many to be New York’s finest art deco skyscraper. It was the tallest building in the world for just one year from 1930-31. Its antenna spire reaches 319 m.
Next, you’ll walk through NYC’s transport hub - Grand Central Terminal - made famous in countless romantic movies, and emerge in front of the Empire State Building - which remains the top attraction in the USA today. From starring in movies like King Kong to its incredible design, the Empire State remains one of the city’s most beloved features. It is the 4th tallest skyscraper in NYC, the 6th tallest in the whole USA and the 43rd tallest in the world!
Not far away, you’ll meet the giant stone lions outside New York’s beautiful public library. In the midst of all the hustle and bustle, you’ll be able to enjoy a moment of tranquillity as you walk through Bryant Park, a green oasis in the heart of Midtown, before entering the one and only Times Square. With its flashy billboards, you’ll see the news ticker on the One Times Square Building, the NASDAQ board, and a myriad of other flashing neon signs that have made this place so recognisable the world over.
Soaking up the bright lights, learn about the evolution of Broadway and how theatre transformed Times Square into one of the most famous destinations in the world. Hear many stories of famous shows and actors that have made their home on Broadway.
As your tour continues, you will see the impressive St Patrick's Cathedral a neo-gothic church built in 1878 and the seat of the Archdiocese of New York. Heading north toward Central Park, you will have the chance to experience the shopping mecca that is Fifth Avenue, abounding in old-world style and glamour.
You’ll see many of the historic buildings in the area dating back to 1900, as you head towards the recently restored art deco masterpiece— Radio City Music Hall.
And lastly, a short walk will lead you to the Rockefeller Center on Rockefeller Plaza, a magnificent complex of towering skyscrapers, where your guide will show you one of the great remaining art deco structures. Your guide will happily give you plenty of suggestions for how to spend the rest of your day to delve into Midtown or direct you to the nearest metro, so you can explore other parts of Manhattan.