Private Guided Tour of Windsor Castle & Eton Town
From Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate, the British monarchy is arguably the most famous family in the world. Like all families, they have a home, a school and a neighbourhood. However, this is where the 'normality' is lost, for the House of Windsor (the current royalty lineage) home is Windsor Castle, school is Eton College, and their neighbourhood the Royal County of Berkshire. On your private tour of Windsor and Eton you will:
- Meet your private guide at the entrance of the Windsor & Eton Riverside train station.
- Walk through the historic town of Windsor before entering one of the UK's largest and grandest castles, Windsor Castle.
- Visit the State Apartments, which are used by the Royal Family to greet visiting dignitaries and heads of state.
- See Queen Mary's exquisite doll house - inclusive of a library, globe, and leatherback chairs, which took over three years to complete.
- Enjoy a fully guided tour of St George's Chapel where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were married in 2018 and where Henry VIII, Charles I, and many other monarchs are buried.
- Walk across Thomas Telford’s bridge and visit the town which has grown up around Eton College.
- Pop into one of the country's most famous tailors, where the college's uniforms are made, and perhaps learn to tie to the illustrious 'Windsor knot'.
Your tour begins in the historic town of Windsor, where your guide will tell you the highlights from its thousand-year history. Upon entering Windsor Castle, enjoy the State Apartments, where you will see highlights, including St. George’s Hall, where larger than life banquets are held. See the intricately decorated staterooms, stunning suits of armour, and weaponry as well as the flawless grounds and gardens. Another highlight will be St George's Chapel - where numerous weddings within the Royal family have occurred and where famous monarchs, including the infamously beheaded Charles I are buried.
Coming down the hill and over the river, you will leave Windsor and enter the impossibly quaint town of Eton. See the exterior of Eton College (not open to the public), where you will find yourself walking in the footsteps of 20 of the country’s prime ministers, Oscar winners such as Eddie Redmayne, writers such as Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond novels and Princes William and Harry. Enjoy popping your head into the array of different antique, art and simply quirky independent shops, where you can spend the remainder of your day, or your guide will happily escort you back to the train station.
Please note: As Windsor Castle is a working royal palace, sometimes the entire Castle or the State Apartments within the Castle need to be closed at short notice. We will endeavour to be in touch with you as soon as we have this information.