Salisbury, Stonehenge and Avebury Private Day Trip
Southern England holds much beauty and mystery for the intrepid traveler. Salisbury, with its fascinating history full of ghost stories, card cheats and beheadings, will enthrall. Then there’s Old Sarum, with its own unique tales to tell. Woodhenge and Stonehenge are enticingly mystical, and on this tour, you will get to know the areas surrounding them and their purpose and place in history. Finally, a stop at Avebury allows you to freely roam the site and touch the stones as your guide takes you through the journey.
During your 8-hour private tour, you will:
- Be met by your guide at your hotel in Bath, then head to the first stop in Salisbury.
- Tour the magnificent Salisbury Cathedral, a gorgeous Gothic relic with the tallest spire in the country, and one of the oldest clocks in existence.
- Spend time in Old Sarum, which uniquely combines a royal castle and cathedral with an Iron Age fortification; once a major centre of both secular and ecclesiastical government.
- Ride alongside the river Avon, through picturesque villages, and see the homes of William Pitt (after whom Pittsburgh was named), and the singer/songwriter, Sting.
- Get a wonderful introduction to the purpose of Stonehenge by going to West Amesbury (Blue Henge), Durrington Walls and Woodhenge.
- Visit Stonehenge, including a new new exhibition at the Stonehenge Visitor Centre. You will get a complete tour with an audio guide provided in 10 different languages.
- Drive over Salisbury Plain and its famous crop circles, featuring Alton Barnes White Horse & the West Kennet Longbarrow, and the largest man-made mound from Neolithic times, Silbury Hill.
- Round out the tour in Avebury; the largest stone circle in Britain, constructed during the 3rd millennium BC.
For this full-day private tour of Southern England, you will get bottled water and entertaining commentary on board your air-conditioned vehicle. Entrance fees to both Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral are included, and lunch will be at a charming local pub recommended by your guide (price not included). As this tour operates in all weather conditions and you will be spending time outdoors, please dress appropriately.