All Inclusive Private Tour of Sintra, Pena Palace & Quinta da Regaleira
If you've not yet visited Sintra you're in for a cultural, historical and visual treat. Just 20 miles from the centre of Lisbon, Sintra is known for its spectacular setting and grand Mansions of the Portuguese Elite. On your private full day tour of Sintra, you will:
- Enjoy an all-inclusive and fully guided tour with an Expert Licensed guide, with all tickets included
- Travel leisurely by train from Lisbon to Sintra in just 40 minutes, with return tickets included
- Be immersed in a fully guided tour of the Pena Palace, including the Palace interior and the Gardens
- Take some free time for lunch in the Sintra town.
- Learn about the history of the town on a guided walking tour, where you’ll see spectacular Sintra National Palace from the outside.
- Step into the majesty of the Quinta da Regaleira Palace and Gardens, including the Well of Initiation, underground caves, the labyrinth and waterfall
- Relax on a panoramic drive through Sintra Natural Park with an electric TukTuk, the fastest and most fun way to travel in Sintra!
Your private tour of Sintra will start at Rossio Train station in central Lisbon, where an early departure means you’ll be one of the first to enter the Pena Palace and will guarantee you get to visit the interior rooms of the Palace. Today Portugal's most famous attraction, the Pena Palace was built in the 19th century as a summer home for Portuguese royalty. It was built by King Ferdinand II who had a very flamboyant and larger than life taste. It is an adaptation of 16th-century monastery ruins and an imitation of a medieval fortress. The Palace boasts spectacular views over the natural park and Lisbon (on a clear day) as well as beautifully landscaped gardens. Enjoy a 30 minute walk through the gardens to see our favourite section: the valley of the lakes.
After, travelling back to Sintra town with an electric TukTuk, enjoy free time for lunch after which your guide will take you on a walking tour through Sintra town and the Quinta da Regaleira, another incredible palace with even more spectacular gardens. The resplendent gardens are even classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO within the "Cultural Landscape of Sintra! Commissioned and owned by a well-known Freemason, Antonio Augusto Carvalho Monteiro, the four-hectare property is famous for its enigmatic buildings and underground tunnels. Monteiro filled the property with symbols linked to masonry, alchemy, Tarot mysticism and more. Your guide will expertly guide you through the extensive and puzzling system of tunnels, grottoes, caves, as well as a waterfall and a labyrinth carved into the bedrock! You will of course not miss the Well of Initiation, a spiral staircase composed of 9 levels of 15 steps, often thought to symbolise the nine levels of Hell from Dante's Inferno.
Your day will end with a tuktuk ride back to Sintra train station, where you will catch the train back to Lisbon.