Explore Amsterdam Highlights: Private Half-Day Walking TourPrivate Tour
Explore Amsterdam's highlights on a half-day walking tour through the Jordaan neighbourhood, Dam Square and the Bloemenmarkt Flower Market with a private guide including a scenic one-hour canal cruise
Things to know
Suitable for:Adventurous, Couples, Culture Vulture, Family Friendly, Friends, History Buffs, Master, Seniors
Private Tour:You and our own professional guide. 100% exclusive
Transport Mode:Walking Tour: including a one-hour Canal Cruise
- English-speaking tour guide
- One-hour scenic canal cruise tickets
- Gratuities optional
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off are not included
- Food & drinks are not included
Meeting points: Your guide will meet you in front of Mr Jordaan Hotel, Bloemgracht 102, 1015 TN Amsterdam
What makes this tour special
Explore the highlights of Amsterdam, the charming Dutch capital famous for its cobblestone streets, iconic canal network, hundreds of old stone bridges, kilometres of cycle paths, beautiful architecture, and vibrant culture on this half-day walking tour with an expert guide. Also included, are tickets for a scenic cruise along the city's famous canals to enjoy at your leisure after the tour.
On your private tour, you will:
- Meet your expert guide in the Bohemian, hipster neighbourhood of Jordaan;
- Pass by Anne Frank’s house to hear about the history of the writer's house and her family’s tragic story;
- See the famous Torensluis Bridge and Westerkerk;
- Explore Dam Square, home to the iconic Koninklijk Palace, a royal residence;
- See the smallest house in Amsterdam;
- Explore the pretty Bloemenmarkt Flower Market that famously floats on the water;
- Learn the history of Dutch tulips;
- Pass by the Waag, a 15th-century building on Nieuwmarkt square;
- See some of the 513km of the city's cycle paths;
- End your tour on a scenic one-hour boat trip on the UNESCO World Heritage canal ring of Amsterdam.
Your tour begins in the beautiful Jordaan District, historically an impoverished neighbourhood, that later attracted artists and poets, including Rembrandt and the famous 17th-century Dutch writer Joost van den Vondel. Now, it is a bustling centre of creativity, full of young artists, entrepreneurs, and students taking their coffee in the myriad of artisanal cafes and restaurants.
As a centre of Calvinist religious reform, you will also see Amsterdam's Westerkerk, which at its completion in 1631, was one of the first-ever Protestant churches. Amsterdam’s Oude Kerk and Nieuwe Kerk were originally built for Roman Catholic worship before the ‘Alteration,’ the bloodless Calvinist coup of 1578, that saw them converted.
See some of the city's hundreds of kilometres of cycle paths, admire the old stone bridges and especially the iconic Torensluis Bridge. Learn about the rise and fall of the Dutch East India Company and Amsterdam as the centre of the Dutch Golden Age.
From there, your guide will take you to Dam Square, which, along with the River Amstel lends its name to the city! It began life as a dam of the Amstel river nearly 750 years ago. As the city grew so did the dam, until it became large enough for a town square; the dam of Amstel became Amsterdam!
Paved with the Dutch capital’s distinctive cobblestones, the square today is a great place to browse and people-watch among some of the city’s most notable attractions: Madame Tussaud’s, the 15th century Gothic Nieuwe Kerk, the Royal Palace and the swish department store De Bijenkorf are all here.
You’ll also have the chance to see the famous Bloemenmarkt, which has floated on Amsterdam’s innermost canal since 1862. Historically, barges used to sail up the Amstel from their smallholdings; today daily fresh flowers arrive by van, and fifteen florists and garden shops display their colourful wares in an array of covered stalls.
Your tour will finish with tickets to board a canal cruise, to see the city from the water, one of the most iconic things to do in Amsterdam!