Private Tour of Castello: Local Venice inc Tickets
Unique in its preservation of residential charm and character, escape the crowds of touristic Venice and explore the quaint, quiet streets of Eastern Castello. Here crumbling buildings line quiet canals, washing lines flap overhead. Aged Venetian men fill shaded bars to watch the football and mothers play with their children by the canals. This is authentic Venice, trapped in time.
- Begin at the church of San Zaccaria, see the flooded crypt and Bellini altarpiece
- Explore the Venetian seafront, enjoy the beautiful views across the lagoon.
- Visit the Arsenale, the historic shipbuilding and military naval docks of Venice.
- Explore the Giardini Pubblici, a park created by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1807.
- Enter the stunning San Pietro di Castello basilica
- Take a water Vaporetto back.
Begin at the stunning San Zaccaria church. Built in the 15th century, it houses many artworks and conceals a flooded crypt below. Learn about the adjoining convent, once a destination for curious Venetian girls deemed too promiscuous. Walk along the beautiful seafront pathway and gaze upon the horizon that is dotted with beautiful isoli and their church spires. Next, visit the Arsenale shipyards, one of the earliest large-scale industrial enterprises in history. It was here that Venice assembled its military naval power for centuries.
Then explore the Giardini Pubblici, a garden creation of Napoleon Bonaparte, which was built on the site of many torn down religious sites. Finish your tour at the wondrous, but less travelled San Pietro di Castello on the island of San Pietro. See the throne of St Peter, which according to legend, once hid the Holy Grail. Finally, take a water Vaporetto back to more familiar settings.