Private Tour of Ostia Antica with Private Transfer
Explore the amazing ancient port town of Ostia Antica, just forty minutes away from Rome. Walk in the footsteps of the ancients as you wander around the now empty streets, step inside their apartments and villas, visit the bath houses, the necropolis, basilicas and town squares, fast food restaurants, temples and even the public toilets in this vast archaeological site spanning over 10,000 acres… bigger and some say better than Pompeii! On your private tour you will:
- Enjoy the personal attention of your private guide and the luxury of a private driver.
- Take a scenic drive out of the ancient city walls of Rome down the Via Ostiense, towards the sea.
- Arrive at the incredible archaeological site of Ostia Antica (ancient Ostia) the most important port town for the ancient Romans (now a few miles inland).
- Explore this incredibly well-preserved ancient city with your private guide, learning all about daily life for those who lived in ancient Ostia two thousand years ago, and its strategic importance to Rome.
- Enter ancient homes, some grand villas, some smaller apartments, see the shops and restaurants, the ruts in the road from the chariots, the bakery – where you can still see the hoof marks of the donkeys in the flour mill!
- Explore the breathtaking amphitheatre – and imagine what it must have been like to be a spectator of an ancient show!
- See the basilicas and town halls, the fire station, the prison, and the amazing mosaics of Neptune in the old bath houses, learn about ancient Roman hygiene in the public toilets!
- Learn about the pagan gods and goddesses in the various temples and learn all about the cultural life of this seafaring city of Ostia in the ancient world.
- Visit the museum to see many more amphora, jewels and personal possessions collected over the centuries.
Located near the ancient sea port of Ostia, this vast 10,000-acre site is incredibly well preserved, and bigger than Pompeii and still being excavated by archaeologists today! Enjoy the peace, calm and tranquility of the countryside – and enjoy the shade of the umbrella pines just a short distance from the hustle and bustle of busy Rome.
Walking around Ostia Antica, it is easy to imagine what life must have been like two thousand years ago, and your guide will paint a picture of the bustling streets, the farmers' markets and Roman society in full swing. Enter homes, shops, taverns, places of worship and transport yourself back to a lost time when people slept, ate and lived here. Your expert private guide will help you to navigate this extraordinary ghost town and bring the ancient people back to life, as you wander around these evocative ruins.