Explore Pompeii & The Amalfi Coast: Private Day Trip from Rome
Discover the ancient city of Pompeii, whose ruins lie in the shadow of the Vesuvius, and the pretty coastal town of Positano on the picturesque Amalfi Coast, with a private guide on this private day trip from Rome.
On your private day trip, you will:
- Be picked up by your chauffeur from your hotel and drive south down the "Highway of the Sun" towards Pompeii;
- Meet your expert private guide at the entrance to the archaeological site of Pompeii, the most famously well-preserved city of the ancient world;
- Enjoy a fully guided 2-hour private tour of the ruins of Pompeii, ancient Rome's port town and holiday destination;
- Walk around the amphitheatre and learn about the theatrical shows and gladiatorial fights;
- See the houses, apartments, and businesses of the local Pompeiians, and learn about daily life in this important Roman port town before the devastating volcanic eruption ended it all in 79 A.D;
- Admire many mosaics and frescos, amazingly well-preserved thanks to the volcanic ash and lava, see depictions of myths and gods and goddesses, some paintings of food, and even some political graffiti;
- Walk down ancient cobbled streets, where carriage wheel marks are still visible, visit the bakery and the fast food joints;
- Wander through the opulent bathhouses and see the magnificent town square with a spectacular view towards Vesuvius;
- See the incredibly moving plaster casts of the people and animals that were killed during the devastating eruption of Vesuvius in August 79 A.D;
- Hear exactly what happened that fateful day, about the massive volcanic eruption, the ash cloud and lava flows, and eyewitness accounts;
- Drive to Positano, an idyllic and picturesque village on the Amalfi Coast;
- Have a well-deserved break and a delicious lunch (not included) at one of the many wonderful local restaurants, your guide will be happy to make recommendations;
- Enjoy a relaxed and fascinating tour of Positano with your guide, and learn all about its history and fame;
- Bask the sunshine of the Amalfi Coast and walk on the beach;
- Meet up with your driver and enjoy a scenic and relaxed drive back to Rome (about 3 hours).
Pompeii is one of the most famous and well-preserved ruined cities of the ancient world, thanks to the dramatic and devastating eruption of the nearby volcano, Vesuvius. Your local expert guide will show you all the highlights of this extraordinary ghost town, where you'll learn all about daily life in Pompeii, and the dramatic events that put an end to it all in August 79 A.D.
After your tour of Pompeii, head to Positano for a relaxing afternoon in this picturesque coastal village on the famous Amalfi Coast, popular with celebrities and locals alike. Enjoy a delicious lunch, some free time for shopping and strolling on the beach, and a fascinating guided tour before heading back to Rome.