Pompeii & Naples: Private Day Trip from Rome
Discover the beauty, drama and tragedy of the buried city of Pompeii and tour the modern city of Naples on this private full-day trip from Rome. On your tour you will:
- Be picked up from your hotel in Rome by your private driver, relax and enjoy the scenic drive south to Naples;
- Meet your private tour guide for the day at the entrance to the archaeological site of Pompeii, now a UNESCO World Heritage site;
- Visit the immaculately preserved ancient ruins of the prosperous ancient city of Pompeii, in the shadow of the volcano Vesuvius, with your local guide. Your entrance tickets to the archaeological site are included;
- Stop for lunch in Naples at a local haunt recommended by your guide for a delicious Neapolitan lunch (cost not included);
- Enjoy a customizable walking and driving tour of the vibrant city of Naples in the afternoon;
- Return to Rome in time for dinner;
After being pick-up in Rome, drive south on the "Highway of the Sun. Arriving in Pompeii, you'll meet your local private guide and learn about the infamous eruption of Vesuvius that would bury the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum – preserving them for two thousand years in lava, ash and rubble. Pompeii was a popular seaside resort for many well-to-do Romans and a thriving port town full of trade.
Walk the streets of this ghost town with your guide who will tell you all about the history of Pompeii and the way of life of those who lived here. Visit the bathhouses, the Forum, the fast food shops, the villas of the rich, the apartments of the less well off, see political graffiti, admire colourful frescoes and mosaics, spot the wheel and hoof marks gauged into the cobbled streets, and step into the amphitheatre and temples of this ancient civilisation.
It is exciting, humbling, and moving to see the plaster casts of the people and animals who tragically lost their lives in the eruption; your expert guide will tell you all the known details of everything that happened on that fateful August day in 79 AD, as well as the extensive work that has gone into the excavations and preservation of the city.
After your two-hour tour of the UNESCO world heritage site, take a break for a delicious and authentic Neapolitan lunch and enjoy the afternoon in downtown Naples, learning about the evolution of this modern city.
Before heading back to Rome, you will have two hours at your disposal with your tour guide to explore Napoli. We suggest a walking or driving tour of the city, that takes in sites such as the Castel Nuovo, Naples Harbour, Piazza del Plebiscito, Naples Cathedral, the complex of Santa Chiara and of course Naples' most famous street: Spaccanapoli.
Alternative touring options include the Naples Archeological Museum, the Cappella Sansevero and the Catacombs of San Gennaro. These three attractions require pre-booked tickets. If you wish to visit one of these, please notify us before the tour and Travel Curious will arrange tickets for you (pending availability).