Hungarian Food Tasting & Private Walking Tour of Budapest
Explore Budapest’s thriving foodie scene on this private walking food tour with several tastings, so be sure to arrive hungry. Learn about the history of Hungarian cuisine as you sample its many varied flavours, and admire the highlights of the city too. On your private tour you will:
- Enjoy the personalised attention of your expert private guide, a local foodie!;
- Sample many delicious authentic Hungarian tastings on this culinary journey through Budapest;
- Admire many of the architectural highlights of the city as you explore its foodie scene;
- Browse the sensational food markets and soak up the vibrant atmosphere;
- Try delicious Hungarian goulash, succulent paprika chicken, fisherman soup and dumplings washed down with a Hungarian-style spritzer or a glass of white wine from the vineyards of the south of the country;
- Visit local bars and cafes and authentic gourmet restaurants;
- Eat like a local and meet chefs, kitchen staff and food vendors;
- Learn the history behind the nation’s favourite dish;
- Get the inside scoop on the best places to eat in the city;
- Try some of Budapest’s tastiest street food;
- End at a lively bar in the centre, to continue at your leisure.
Budapest boasts a diverse array of different dishes with abundant culinary influences. In its soups and stews, there are the tell-tale signs of Slovakia, Ukraine, and Romania, while stuffed vegetables and pickled salads are from Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia. To Austria, it owes many of its pastries and to Turkey, its coffee, with German and Russian occupation also leaving its mark. Yet with the regional towns and villages of Hungary’s culinary heartlands, Budapest’s focus is squarely on home-spun dishes - albeit with a modern, contemporary twist.
Delve into the city’s gastronomic history on this experiential, sensory and delicious food tour.
Get to know Hungary through its incredible food. Experience for yourself how history and societal changes continue to add new complexity to the city’s foodscape. In the markets, in the cafes, in the kitchens and at the food stalls, you will meet some of the chefs and watch kitchens in the throes of creativity: smell the food, listen to it pop and spit, devour it with your eyes, before finally – tucking in!
Budapest’s favourite local dishes read like a Hungarian map, with every corner of this landlocked country represented in restaurants in the city. Like any capital city, Budapest is home to people from all over the globe, adding further culinary bites to the city’s mouthwatering food mix.
Traditional Hungarian cuisine is heavy, no surprise given the bitterly cold winters; however, demand in Budapest is increasingly for modern interpretations of these robust dishes, so lighter and smaller portions, tapas-style.
Want to order like a local? Try delicious Hungarian goulash, succulent paprika chicken, fisherman soup and dumplings washed down with a Hungarian-style spritzer or a glass of white wine from the vineyards of the south of the country. This tour is a tantalising tasting adventure of authentic Hungarian baked goods, sumptuous slow-cooked meats, freshly cooked soup, pies and fresh local produce. Enjoy! Or as they say in Budapest: jó étvágyat!