Things to know
Suitable for:Couples, Family, Friends, History Buffs, Intellectually Curious, Master, Seniors
Private Tour:You and our own professional guide. 100% exclusive
Transport Mode:Walking tour: no transportation is included
- English Speaking Guide
- The Acropolis of Athens admission tickets
- Gratuities optional
- Additional tickets are not included.
- Food and drink are not included
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off are not included
Meeting points: Your guide will meet you in front of To kafenedaki Cafe, Propileon 9, Athina 117 42, Greece
What makes this tour special
Experience the magic and mystery of the Acropolis and Parthenon of Athens, the stunning hilltop citadel of Ancient Greece on this 2-hour private walking tour. Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views from the plateau of the Acropolis, and admire the spectacular Parthenon temple. Learn all about the Ancient Greek civilization of the 5th Century BC as you explore the many buildings, theatres, and temples that makeup one of the most famous, fascinating, and enduring wonders of the world.
On your private 2-hour tour, you will:
- Learn about the Acropolis of Athens, a vast complex of magnificent ancient temples, theatres, and civic buildings from the height of Ancient Greek civilization in the 5th Century BCE;
- Walk through the famous Propylaea gate, the monumental grand ceremonial entrance with its vast doric columns;
- Learn about the Golden Age of Greece and the cultural significance of the Acropolis, as you walk through the majestic ruins of this ancient civilization with its iconic classical architecture;
- Walk through the serene Sanctuary of Zeus Polieus and the remains of the Temple of Rome & Augustus;
- Gaze up at and explore the magnificent Parthenon, the resplendent marble temple dedicated to the goddess Athena situated atop the Acropolis;
- Discover other major monuments of the Acropolis including the Odeon of Herodes Atticus and the Theatre of Dionysus, where classical works by the most famous Greek poets were first performed;
- See firsthand the famed Erechtheion temple, the most complex building on the Acropolis;
- Admire the truly breathtaking panoramic views from high up on the Acropolis, overlooking modern Athens and the Ancient Greek Agora – an open space for communal gatherings;
- End your privately guided tour in the Acropolis, where you can continue to explore the site at your own leisure.
Discover the majestic ruins of the Acropolis and Parthenon of Athens on a fascinating two-hour private tour through this ancient citadel, the birthplace of European civilization and democracy!
The word Acropolis literally means “highest point of a city”. Now a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Acropolis is perched up on a craggy hill, its buildings occupy a flat plateau about 156 metres high, with stunning views overlooking the modern city of Athens.
On your private tour, your expert guide will transport you back to the golden age of Greek civilization, as you wander through the magnificent monuments of this ancient citadel. You'll learn all about daily life in Ancient Athens, a city dedicated to and named for the goddess Athena. Daughter of Zeus she was the powerful goddess of war and wisdom. You'll see her image and symbolism everywhere!
Waking among the ruins of this ancient civilization, you'll learn of a world of gods and goddesses, myths and legends of heroes like Odysseus; a culture of poets and politicians, dramatists, mathematicians, and philosophers, whose names and works have echoed down through the ages as the ‘School of Athens’; names such as Homer, Plato, Pythagoras, Ovid, Aeschylus, Euripedes and Sophocles – to name but a few!
On your private tour, you will see some of the oldest theatres in the world – and take your seats as spectators would have done over 2500 years ago. You will see astonishing feats of classical engineering, learn about the classical styles of Doric, Ionic, Corinthian, and more… and of course, have time to marvel at the Parthenon.
The most famous temple on the Acropolis was built in the 5th century BC and remains famous for its jaw-dropping optical illusions and its architectural magnificence, including the beautiful and imposing female forms of the Caryatids holding up the monument.
Your guide will take you to the best viewing points on the Acropolis for the panoramic vistas over the Athenian basin, and finally leave you to enjoy exploring this evocative citadel at your own leisure.