The Best of Copenhagen: Private Half-Day Highlights Walking Tour
Experience the grandeur of Denmark's beautiful capital city, Copenhagen, a city that effortlessly blends rich history with modern charm, on this half-day walking tour of the city's highlights.
On your private highlights tour, you will:
- Begin your tour by the Royal Danish Theatre, founded in 1748 by King Frederik V and considered to be one of the oldest national theatres in the world;
- Explore the surroundings of Christiansborg Palace, the seat of the Danish Parliament, the Danish Prime Minister's Office, and the Supreme Court of Denmark;
- Pass by the beautiful Amalienborg Palace, the winter residence of the Royal Family, and depending on the time of the day watch the spectacle of the Changing of the Guard;
- Stroll through the historic Gråbrødretorv Square, which was the home of Christian IV’s favourite daughter;
- Hear about Hviids Vinstue, a Danish Tavern in operation since 1723;
- Visit Copenhagen Cathedral, the Church of Our Lady next to the University of Copenhagen in the medieval Latin Quarter;
- Admire the magnificent 400 years old Rosenborg Castle, one of the best-preserved Renaissance castles in the world;
- Pass by Copenhagen’s 17th-century Round Tower, the oldest astronomical observatory in Europe;
- See the former barracks at Nyboder historical neighbourhood, designed to be the home of Danish sailors and their families;
- End the tour at the charming Nyhavn, with its pastel-coloured merchant's houses that line the canals, and learn about the astonishing history of the Jewish community in Copenhagen during WWII as you stroll along the waterfront.
Copenhagen, a former humble fishing village, became the magnificent capital of Denmark in the 15th century. Copenhagen is steeped in history and is home to one of the oldest royal families in the world –spanning back to the Vikings. It is a city of majestic palaces and cobblestone streets, with stunning views toward the sea and a certain iconic statue of the Little Mermaid.
History and modernity intertwine seamlessly in this innovative city – and you’ll learn all about the politics and green revolution of Denmark as you stroll around the highlights of the city – including royal palaces, the cathedral and university, the waterfront and the political and commercial heart of the city.
Enjoy the vibrant buzz of central Copenhagen and get the best recommendations for great places to eat from your local expert guide.