The Underground Network of RÉSO Montréal: Private 2.5-hour Tour
Discover the unique RÉSO district of Montreal, an extraordinary city beneath the city, on this 2.5-hour walking tour with an expert private guide. RESO is the largest underground network of offices, malls, hotels, restaurants, pop-ups, conference centres, and other venues like performing arts spaces and even schools and universities, as well as the Metro, that make up a subterranean "city" anywhere in the world.
On your private tour, your will:
- Meet your expert private guide, and begin your tour on famous Saint Catherine Street where your guide will explain the concept, history and magnitude of RÉSO, Montreal's Underground City;
- Head underground into the bustling RESO - more commonly called Underground Network by locals;
- Enjoy the bustling atmosphere of this underground world used by over half a million people every day;
- Tour the Desjardins complex, with its food stalls, fountains, and art installations;
- Walk to the Place des arts complex and see the famous Metro station;
- Take the metro to McGrill and explore the station followed by other highlights such as Eaton Centre and Place Ville Marie;
- Step outside to see the dazzling Hotel Fairmont Queen Elizabeth in the heart of Downtown Montreal;
- Enter the dazzling Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral dating back to 1875;
- Walk out onto Dorchester Square to end back at the iconic Sainte Catherine Street amidst the hub of galleries, theatres and the storied cobbled streets of Old Montreal.
Lots of Canadian cities have a system of tunnels and skywalks used by residents to get around the city while avoiding the harsh Canadian winter weather. However, Montreal's RESO takes the biscuit. It is used by between 500,000 to 1 million people every day (more in winter) and comprises the underground transport network (the metro) as well as a veritable city of shops, food stalls, cafes, bars, restaurants, office complexes, hotels - and even performance venues. There are also entrances to movie theatres, schools, universities, banks and over 1600 housing units. With over 20 miles of walkways and tunnels, RESO or the Underground Network covers an impressive 4 million square meters or 1.5 square miles. These stats make it the largest underground city in the world.
On this impressive 2.5-hour tour, you'll be able to fully explore Montreal's Underground City - and end back at the legendary Sainte-Catherine street.