Private Full Day Highlights of D.C.
As America’s cultural centre, Washington DC is more than just the home of the President. DC is rich in history, proud in heritage, and a fascinating multi-layered destination.
- Stand in awe of the Washington Monument, once the tallest structure in the world in 1884.
- Admire the Lincoln Memorial - see if you can spot the carved mistake on a word on the north wall - it’s been touched up, but can still be seen.
- Learn about the importance of the Potomac River on the history of the city.
- See DC’s ‘Big 3’: the Capitol, White House and Supreme Court.
- See the first equestrian statue ever made in the United States.
- Hop into a cab for an easy transfer to lunch, at a place recommended by your guide. (lunch paid locally by guests).
- After, visit the immense world of the Smithsonian Museums, with a guided visit of the National Museum of American History, home to the original Star-Spangled Banner.
- Finish your tour at the museums, where your guide will happily recommend other museums to explore at your own leisure.
At 68-square-miles, Washington DC has more than the political arena with which to seduce its many visitors, from the secrets of the FBI Building, CIA Headquarters to over 70 museums devoted to almost every topic, including an International Spy Museum, American Indian art and African-American culture. On your DC in a Day: Full Day Highlights Tour you will discover the heart and soul of America’s capital district, on a guided journey to its key attractions that do DC justice - politics and all.
As you discuss the city’s role in historical events, you will journey around DC’s most famous memorials, monuments and landmarks to read the Gettysburg Address inscription at the Lincoln Memorial and reflect on the impact of America’s Civil War. The beautiful Korean War Veterans Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial both evoke the sobriety of America’s involvement in overseas conflicts. At the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, it is impossible not to feel uplifted and inspired by the power of the words he penned for his famous I Have a Dream address. DC is spoiled for choice for world class-exhibitions and museums, and your DC in a Day: Full Day Highlights finale are two absolute gems - the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of American History.