Private Walking Tour of Old Town San Juan
On your private highlight tour, learn about the history of San Juan and understand the complex status of the Commonwealth, and the ways this small island has influenced the rest of Latin America. On your private walking tour, you will:
- Explore over 500 years of history, how the island was colonized and get a sense of how Puerto Ricans contend with their current complex status.
- Visit a 'Panama hat' shop, where you can find the perfect memento of your time on the island.
- As you walk around the external walls of the behemoth forts in San Juan, your guide will discuss the role Christopher Columbus and Spanish colonialism had on the historical city centre.
- See Parque de las Palomas, where locals gather in the cool of the mornings and evenings.
- Visit several shops, coffee stops, and local vendors, where you can enjoy the best of the island's offering, with an expert guide to help you navigate away from the tourist traps.
- Experience the stories of devastation and recovery efforts still underway from Hurricane Maria, which struck the island in 2017.
- Your tour will finish with a coffee at a local establishment, where you can enjoy a cup along with a snack before parting ways with your guide.
Whether this is your first trip to San Juan or your 50th, a private walking tour of Old Town with a guide is the perfect way to discover the secrets hidden in plain sight, and learn the history of the island. Enjoy a local, professional guide's perspective on what it’s like to live on the island today, and get the tips on the island's best kept secrets.
With sweeping oceanside vistas, daunting stone forts, steep hills, and intricate stone roads, San Juan oozes with a mix of old European charm and vibrant Latin culture. On your tour, your guide will give you the best tips for exploring the island. Your guide will be sure to give you a list of their favourite restaurants, and introduce you to locals who will make the difference between a tourist holiday to a lifelong love affair with the island its people.