San Francisco’s SoMa: Private Tour of the High Tech District
Experience the famous South of Market - fondly shortened to SoMa by locals – of San Francisco. Once the heart of the thriving coffee industry, now the ultra-modern hub of the hippest tech jobs, cafés, restaurants, and architecture.
On your private tour, you will:
- Learn about the history of this ultra-modern hub, which was actually established back in 1847 during the Gold Rush;
- Hear how fire nearly destroyed SoMa in 1906;
- Visit the office buildings of several tech companies to see how they've adapted their style to the city - from Google's historic building to the amazing sky-high Sales Force's Gardens;
- Walk down the famous Market Street, and learn all about the famous streetcars;
- Learn about POPOS: 'privately owned public open spaces that exist throughout the city;
- Relax in the open green spaces of Yerba Buena Park and the Rincon Center, serving up the latest trends to the ultra-hip techies who have made SoMa home;
- Smell the rich coffee scents of the many local roasters that permeate the area, and get recommendations of the best places;
- Finish your tour at the Ferry Building Marketplace, where you can shop from local artisans and farmers for souvenirs and tasty treats.
SoMa, or South of Market, one of San Francisco’s most desirable areas, is a vast, warehouse-filled district in San Francisco, that dates all the way back to 1847 when the earliest settlers opened up stores to cater to the hundreds of migrants who flocked to California for the Gold Rush.
These days it is famous for being one of the trendiest neighbourhoods of San Francisco with a diverse array of attractions from an alternative arts scene to open green parks, from boutique shopping to popular restaurants and bars. The area is full of museums and art galleries, including the celebrated San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA), amazing parks like the Yerba Buena Gardens and the highrise SalesForce gardens!
SOMA encompasses Mission Bay and South Beach, and is also where the Giants play baseball at waterfront AT&T Park!
Your tour of SoMa is one of the best ways to immerse yourself in the buzzing high-tech scene in San Francisco, without getting lost in it. Enjoy walking the streets with a local, private guide while enjoying the sights - from the masterpieces at SFMOMA to the gentle bell of approaching streetcars. Learn about the evolution of the neighbourhood and the several revivals it's been through since it emerged during the gold rush in the mid-nineteenth century. When your tour finishes at the marketplace, we recommend popping into one of the many restaurants or bars and enjoying a cocktail on the docks.