From Chelsea to Hudson Yards: NYC's Coolest Neighbourhoods TourPrivate Tour
Enjoy a private tour through NYC's coolest neighbourhoods, including Chelsea, the Meatpacking district, the new Little Island, the famous High line & Hudson Yards with your New Yorker tour guide.
Things to know
Duration:2 hrs 30 mins
Suitable for:Culture Vulture, Family, History Buffs, Intellectually Curious
Private Tour:You and our own professional guide. 100% exclusive
Transport Mode:Walking tour: no transportation is included
- English Speaking Guide
- Gratuities optional
- Food and drink are not included
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off are not included
Meeting points: Your guide will meet you at the entrance to the Whitney Museum located at 99 Gansevoort St, New York, NY 10014, United States
What makes this tour special
Explore some of New York City's coolest neighbourhoods in west Manhattan - each with its own distinct vibe, history and culture, including Chelsea, Hudson Yards, the Meatpacking District, and Little Island - the newest park over the Hudson River - and walk through the iconic High Line an NYC park built above the old railway tracks.
On your private tour, you will:
- Explore the trendy neighbourhoods of western Manhattan in New York City with an expert private guide;
- Visit artsy Chelsea, the meatpacking district, the High Line, Little Island and Hudson Yards;
- Start your tour in the vibrant area of Chelsea - a popular residential area famous for its art galleries, bars, LGBTQ scene, upscale food markets, and restaurants;
- See the one-time NABISCO warehouse which has been converted into Chelsea Market, one of New York's most famous landmarks;
- See the former warehouses of the Meatpacking District that have been replaced with upscale shops, over 200 art galleries, and trendy restaurants;
- Visit Little Island, the newest artificial island park over the Hudson River - with tranquil green space, modern art, and gorgeous views;
- Walk along the iconic High Line, a public park built over an old railway track above the streets of Manhattan's West Side;
- Visit Hudson Yards, a culture, foodie, and commercial district where you’ll see several architectural developments for which the area has become known, including the Edge, the Shed and the Vessel;
- End your tour at Hudson Yards where your guide will show you the best places to spend the rest of your day.
Explore some of the best areas of western Manhattan with a private guide to share the history and culture of each iconic neighbourhood, from Chelsea and the old Meatpacking District to the High Line, Little Island, and Hudson Yards. See some of New York City’s newest architecture – including the Edge and the Vessel, and some of its old warehouses which have been repurposed into hundreds of art galleries, trendy bars, a thriving LGBT scene, and restaurants: there is no inch of wasted space in Manhattan!
Begin your tour in Chelsea, an arty residential area with a mix of luxury high rises and low rises, apartments, townhouses and converted warehouses. The area is a popular place to live with young, liberal professionals. Begin at the famous Whitney Museum of Art - situated between the Meatpacking and West Village neighbourhoods.
Founded in 1930 by the socialite, sculptor and patron of the arts, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, it is a treasure trove of 20th and 21st-century art - and has really set the tone for the whole area which is famous for its hundreds of art galleries built into converted warehouses.
Then walk to Chelsea Market, which was built in the 1890s to be the NABISCO biscuit factory, and is where OREO cookies were invented; today it has been converted into one of New York's most famous and well-loved landmarks, a food hall, a shopping mall, office space, and even TV studio.
Walk onto the city's newest landmark opened in 2009 - Little Island, an artificial public park on the Hudson River that is also home to performing arts venues and events, it is a unique green oasis with a lush landscape, winding pathways, undulating hills, and stunning views!
You'll enjoy many beautiful views throughout your tour, of the Hudson River and New Jersey - especially from the High Line, an elevated green space and public park, built along a historic railroad; it is a hybrid of nature, art and design and enjoys spectacular views over Manhattan - including Little Island.
The area was saved from demolition by local residents and was created to beautify the line after disuse had led to decay. It is now a symbol of sustainable hope and regeneration for the area. At 1.45 miles long, it stretches above the bustle of Chelsea to offer a place of retreat for New Yorkers looking to relax. See places where small summer markets take place, where exhibitions rotate throughout the year, and where pop-up dinners happen.
Exit the High Line into Hudson Yards - New York City's newest neighbourhood. It is a trendy, vibrant 28-acre commercial development, packed with dynamic restaurants, arts and cultural institutions, green spaces and gardens, plazas, luxury office space, restaurants and bars, shops and residences. You'll see its most famous buildings, the Edge, the Shed and the Vessel.
Your tour ends in the heart of Hudson Yards, where your guide can give you recommendations for where to eat and explore further!