Private Walking Tour of Beale Street with entrance to Sun Studio
Memphis is one of America's great music cities - famous for blues, soul, and rock 'n' roll influence which originated there. Immerse yourself in the worlds of Elvis Presley, B.B. King, and Johnny Cash, and enjoy a visit to the streets they walked and the legendary Sun Studio, where they each recorded albums.
On your private walking tour of Beale Street, you will:
- Meet your guide at W.C. Handy Park, which commemorates William Christopher Handy, a composer and musician who saw himself Father of the Blues and whose music paved the way for America's Rock n’ Roll.
- Visit the legendary Peabody Hotel, where history was made with the signing of Elvis' first contract with RCA and where Sam Phillips started his musical journey with the likes of Glen Miller.
- See WDIA Radio Station, which has been continuously open since 1947, programmed entirely for African Americans. B.B. King and Rufus Thomas started their work at WDIA, and it had a huge impact on Elvis
- Stroll down Beale Street - a must-see attraction during your tour of Memphis as it's one of the most famous streets in America. Your guide will point out to you the legends hidden in plain sight, including the Domino Lounge, Pee Wee’s Saloon and BB King's nightclub
- Lastly, enjoy an easy walk to Sun Studio, where your guide will part with you, and you'll join a Sun Studio guide for a small group tour.
On your Private Tour of Beale Street and Sun Studios, you'll learn the musical history of Memphis, the stars of the show and their stories. You'll find out who W.C. Handy was and the influence that Sam Phillips had on the journey of rock'n'roll, the blues and the many famous musicians associated with these influential strains that have made Memphis famous for its music. Beale Street is in Downtown Memphis and runs from the Mississippi River to East Street, a distance of nearly 2 miles. It is just as important in the city's history, as it is in the history of blues music.
Your expert local guide will lead you on the guided tour and will buy your tickets for you at Sun Studio. You will enjoy your guided tour of Sun Studio led by an expert Sun Studio guide. Sam Phillips was the founder of Sun Records and Sun Studio which opened on January 3rd, 1950, where he produced recordings by Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and many others.
Get beyond Graceland and dive into the many stories of Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and BB King, artists that put Memphis on the musical map. Whether you are a music lover or simply a curious traveller, this musical history tour of Memphis is a great place to start.