Private Walking Tour of Memphis
Jump into the music, flavors, and history of Memphis. On your private walking tour, you will:
- Begin your tour at the Mississippi River and learn how green spaces and geography have defined the city.
- See ’The Pyramid’ at Bass Pro shops - an odd picture-worthy place in the city
- Pop into The Peabody Hotel to see the iconic Peabody ducks, if the timing is right!
- Stroll down Beale Street - an iconic street one of the historic centers of African-American culture for nearly two centuries.
- Learn about the heritage of the historic Orpheum Theater.
- Enjoy a small taste of Memphis barbecue at a local stop, recommended by your expert guide. Find out the best places to continue your taste of Memphis after the tour ends.
- Visit the National Center for Civil Rights, and enjoy an hour tour by your guide.
Your tour begins at the heartbeat of Memphis’s origin story: The Mississippi River. Like cities the world over, the history of Memphis is one best understood by knowing the lay of the land, the geography which shaped it. As you walk through the city, your guide will explain how the city’s features have defined and shaped the institutions and culture of Memphis.
Visit historic Beale Street - where nightclubs, pawnshops, restaurants, and theaters have been playing the blues for over a century. Learn about the street’s history dating back to the mid-19th century, where Black commerce thrived in spite of the odds. Hear tales of Ida B Wells, 'Beale Street Blues', B.B. King, and Dr King.
Then, enter into the heart of the American story at the National Center for Civil Rights Museum, where your guide will take you on an hour tour. Learn about the legacy of Memphis in the struggle for Civil Rights, and see the Lorraine Motel - now part of the museum - where Dr King was assassinated in 1968. Hear how the center continues to play a central role in moving forward the push for civil rights nationwide. Should you wish to stay beyond the hour to experience the rest of the museum, please do at your own leisure.