Private Walking Tour of Silver Lake's Painted Staircases
Silver Lake is a vibrant and beautiful section of east Los Angeles, with a fun, hipster character. During your three hour private walking tour of Silver Lake’s Painted Staircases, you will:
- Meet your guide at the Silver Lake Recreation Center, where you will get a quick introduction to the tour.
- Immerse yourself in the Silver Lake neighborhood, where your guide will lead you to the famous painted staircases.
- Ascend the Swan Stairs, about 287 steps, where you can stop for breaks and photo ops.
- Descend the Cicero Stairs (90 steps) until you reach Sunset Blvd. Stop for a coffee break and snack at a local coffee shop.
- Go about 200 steps up the Lower Micheltorena Stairs and head towards the Descanso Stairway, where you will descend another 139 steps to a nice viewpoint, with photo ops along the way.
- Walk the 90 steps up the Murray Stairs, with a short, steep walk up to the Effie/Rotary Stairs, before heading back down to the Recreation Center.
On this private walking tour, you will step past bright swatches of yellow, orange, purple and green; past painted red hearts and other colorful flights of fancy as you ascend higher up Silver Lakes’ famous painted staircases, decorated by local artists. Here you will find a mix of old and new – and part of the neighborhood’s revival are these fabulous staircases which have become the shining star of Silver Lake.
We recommend wearing good walking or tennis shoes for this tour, but it is not required. Do try to dress in comfortable layers, as you will no doubt work up a sweat! Coffee and a snack at a local coffee stop are included in your tour. And don’t forget your camera or make space on your phone, as there will be many opportunities to stop for photos along the way.