Private Walking Tour of Charming Charleston
One of America's oldest cities - and one of its wealthiest preceding the Civil War - a visit to Charleston is a walk through the pages of the country's history books. On your private walking tour of Charleston, you will:
- Start at the picturesque Rainbow Row and learn about why houses have maintained their colourful facades through the years.
- Learn about the city's darker history and the impact of the slave trade on the city and state.
- Enjoy a walk along the coastline in Joe Riley Waterfront Park.
- See the only still-practicing French Huguenot Church in the country.
- Stroll the stalls of crafts, produce, and local fare at the Historic Charleston City Market.
- End your tour with a snack and drink at the market, while your guide gives you recommendations for the rest of your time in the charming, old city.
With nearly four centuries of history, Charleston is jam-packed with stories waiting to be heard. Let yourself be transported into the romanticism of the painted houses and the beautiful waterfront. Enjoy the easy stroll the city - Charleston is a flat city, and perfect for anyone looking to enjoy a day at a leisurely pace.
On your private walking tour, your guide will discuss with you the first few centuries of the city - the way the slave-trade evolved over the years, and the way the system made Charleston the wealthiest city in the South; then hear how the Civil War dismantled and destroyed the city's infrastructure. To walk in Charleston is to grapple with the complexity of its past, while seeing the work it has done and continues to do to make its Southern hospitality inclusive and sincere to all.