Half Day Highlights Tour of Atlanta in a Private Vehicle
Atlanta is a city rich in stories and storytelling is a distinguishing feature of Southern culture. Speech artistry, beautifully expressed and compelling in content, is endemic: a characteristic of the Georgian love affair with the spoken word, and strong narrative impulse. On your private tour, you will:
- See Atlanta through the eyes of a local and hear the tales that bring history to life - as you explore Downtown and Midtown
- Learn the impact of the Battle of Atlanta during the American Civil War and how the Civil Rights movement continues today, as you discuss Stone Mountain
- See the State Capitol Building with its magnificent gilded dome
- Hear about the corporations and events which have kept Atlanta’s relevance - including the 1996 Olympics and Coca-Cola
- Understand the deeper cultural context about Atlanta’s sports scene and the local fanaticism for five major teams
- Find out exactly how many of the Atlanta area streets are named Peachtree
- Visit historic Ponce City Market and Piedmont Park in Midtown
- Enjoy a light snack and a drink at Ponce City market as your guide gives you local recommendations for the rest of your stay in Atlanta
Atlanta has some colossal names that call the city home, from Martin Luther King and Coca-Cola to the world’s busiest airport. Prosperity in Atlanta means an ever-changing skyline throughout Midtown, Downtown, and the outer fringes of the city as its population continues to experience dramatic growth. Reach back into the mid 1800s to discuss how the building of a railroad created Atlanta, prompting soft drink giant Coca-Cola to open there in 1886 and expand into a global concern.
Electric streetcars arrived in 1889, spawning new residential suburbs that today form an intrinsic part of Atlanta’s heritage. Later the city emerged as the home of the Civil Rights Movement, a powerful frontline role that altered the course of history. Historic sites, landmarks and museums celebrate Martin Luther King’s achievements and the black history in the South. On the Half Day Highlights Tour, delve into Atlanta's history and hear the tales that make the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement come alive. Today Asian and Latin American cultures are interfused with the Irish, African-American, German and Austrian immigrants that played a role in the city's early history. The result is a vibrant mix of languages, cuisines, music and cultures that lends this world-class Southern city an exciting, energetic buzz.