Private Excursion to Delphi inc Transport & Tickets
No trip to Greece is complete until you have explored the beautiful and serene enclave of Delphi.
- Journey to the mythological centre of Ancient Greece, the numinous Delphi
- Discover famous monuments such as the Temple of Apollo, Ampitheatre, and the Sanctuary of Athena Pronea
- Seek advice at the Oracle
- Learn the myths, traditions, and legends of Ancient Greece
- Snap pictures of the breathtaking landscape of Parnassos mountain
- Explore the archaeological wonders of the Delphi museum, including the famed Charioteer of Delphi
- Stop for lunch in the Arachova, where your guide will recommend a great Greek lunch (price not included in tour)
- Enjoy a peaceful drive back to your hotel, along the Saronic coast
In Search of the Oracle
Journey to the mythological centre of Ancient Greece, ‘the navel of the world’, in this one day tour to the archeological site of Delphi. Dating as far back as the 6th Century BC, Delphi was thought to be the point at which heaven and earth met – it was here that man could get closest to God. The sanctuary of Delphi was also famed throughout the classical world as home to the Oracle: a priestess who channeled the spirit of Apollo, answering questions on anything from domestic squabbles to matters of war. Everyone from foreign dignitaries to common peasants would make the pilgrimage from Athens to Delphi to seek the Oracle’s advice. During your spectacular day tour, you will follow in their footsteps.
After being picked up from your hotel in your private air-conditioned vehicle, you’ll begin the scenic 180 km drive through mountains and fertile valleys of cotton fields and olive groves, enjoying sensational views of the Greek countryside. Upon arriving in Delphi you’ll enter the UNESCO world heritage site, to explore these stunning ruins with your knowledgeable local guide.
Discover famous monuments such as the imposing Temple of Apollo, the incredibly well-preserved Amphitheatre and the Sanctuary of Athena Pronea, whose graceful circular structure is the most recognisable of all Delphi’s ruins. Hear how these structures were used in the Classical age, as you take in the breathtaking landscape of Parnassos mountain.
Exploring the Saronic Coast
Your tour will continue inside the Delphi museum, where you’ll come face to face with the piercing gaze of the famed Charioteer of Delphi, and other archaeological wonders. After stopping for lunch in the picturesque village of Arachova, carved into a hillside along the Saronic coast, your day will finish with a peaceful drive back to Athens.