Montmartre at Night: Private Evening Walking Tour
Enjoy an evening walking tour of Montmartre, the charming bohemian neighbourhood of Paris perched high on the hill overlooking the City of Lights. Montmartre was the hedonistic home to many of the Impressionists and other artists, from Van Gogh to Toulouse Lautrec and later Picasso as well as the most famous cabaret in the world - the Moulin Rouge!
On your private evening tour, you will:
- Enjoy a fascinating evening walking tour through the cobbled streets of bohemian Montmartre;
- Soak up the buzzing atmosphere of an evening in Montmartre, when everyone comes out to saunter down the streets, drink absinthe at the bars, listen to buskers and admire painters at work on the artist's square Place du Tertre;
- See the Moulin Rouge, and pass the famous cafe from the movie Amelie;
- Learn all about the lives of the Impressionist artists who lived here, and see Van Gogh's old apartment, Renoir's studio, and Le Bateau Lavoir used by Picasso and Gertrude Stein;
- See the bust of the famous singer Dalida, admire the pink buildings and murals around Renoir's studio and the Lapin Agile;
- Pass by Montmartre's hidden vineyard, tucked away in the little side streets behind the Sacré-Coeur;
- Admire the amazing panoramic views over the sparkling City of Lights from the steps of the imposing Sacré-Coeur Basilica;
- End your tour by enjoying a glass of wine with your tour guide at a Parisian local bistro.
Once a countryside village at the edge of Paris with roots dating back to the Roman Empire, from the second half of the 19th century the hill of Montmartre became home to many of the world’s leading artists - especially the Impressionists like Renoir, Degas, Monet, Toulouse-Lautrec and Van Gogh. Montmartre is one of Paris' most charming neighbourhoods with a fascinating and complex past: where art, religion and politics have clashed over the years!
Strolling around the quaint cobblestone streets, you will see where Renoir, Van Gogh and Picasso lived and worked, and the locations that inspired some of their most famous masterpieces, such as the Moulin Rouge cabaret and the Moulin de la Galette Restaurant.
Your guide will expertly navigate the meandering back streets, as you step off the beaten path and explore this charming, bohemian neighbourhood. See the bust of the singer Dalida - a French icon in the 70s and 80s, the famous murals on the Lapin Agile and the hidden vineyard behind the main square of Montmartre.
Walk into Place du Tertre - a lively vibrant place known as the artist's square, always filled with artists at work and surrounded by busy bars, cafes and restaurants.
From there, you'll walk up to the magnificent, imposing bright white building that is the Sacré-Cœur Basilica, the highest point of Paris. Standing on the steps of this most famous landmark, behold the city of lights spread out beneath you - with an amazing panorama over the entire city, from the towers of Notre Dame to the giant lattice of the Iron Lady, the Eiffel Tower herself.
Lastly, sit down for a glass of wine at your guide's favourite local haunt!