Private Food Tour: A Taste of Life Under Communism
From 1948 through 1989, the citizens of the Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia) went through a bleak period under communist rule. This tour allows you to experience first-hand what life was like back then, in both a historical and culinary sense. During your private, 3-hour walking food tour of Prague, you will:
- Meet your private guide in Wenceslas Square.
- Visit several culturally evocative Cold War landmarks, including the Velvet Revolution Memorial - an important reminder of Prague’s communist past.
- Go back in time and stand in line at a traditional cantina to enjoy a meal exactly the way workers would in the Communist era. (We promise it will be most delicious!) You will hear stories of life under Communist rule from someone what has lived it.
- Visit a humble diner with recipes from 20th century Prague.
- Enjoy a stunning view of Prague from the top of Kotva, a department store built during the Communist era, whilst sipping a local Pilsner.
- Take a break from your walk to sample Chlebíčky. We will take you to the best spot in town for this traditional Czech snack.
- Get away from the bustle of the city to the Franciscan Monastery Gardens and learn all about its dark past.
- Walk past the stately Wenceslas Square as your guide tells fascinating tales of its history.
- Round out the tour with a sweet treat from a traditional Czech pastry shop.
If you are curious about what life was like in Eastern Europe under the reign of communism, then this tour is for you. During this unique and amazing food tour, you will not only get to experience three Communist-style dishes, your guide will lead you to significant locations in the Old and New Towns, where you will hear the fascinating tales of life during that era, as well as have all of your burning questions answered about this mysterious period “behind the curtain.” Along the way, you will learn how food from that era has influenced modern food culture. Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable shoes on this walking tour.