Two Smithsonian Museums: American & Natural History Private Tour
Visit two of the famed Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC's National Mall, the fascinating National Museum of American History, and the Museum of Natural History, one of the greatest collections in the world in three hours on this private and informative walking tour.
On your private tour, you will:
- Begin with a private tour of the National Museum of American History, where your guide will give you an overview of American history, before exploring the exhibitions in more depth;
- See several artefacts underpinning the American political and cultural landscape;
- Explore exhibitions that focus on America’s triumphs, tragedies, wars, and protests;
- Learn about American women's history, African American history, Latin American history, and any area you have particular interests in;
- Enjoy a short break before heading to your next destination, the Museum of Natural History, one of the world’s largest collections of the natural world;
- Explore the museum’s highlights, including the Hope Diamond donated by Harry Winston, a T-Rex fossil, and a short film depicting the history of mammals over 200 million years;
- Immerse yourself in earth’s many ecosystems, including the Sant Ocean Hall, where you can see some of the smallest and largest animals in the oceans.
You will begin your private tour at the National Museum of American History, where myriad American treasures are on display.
From a flag flying during the Battle of Baltimore to photographs taken of Titanic survivors aboard the Carpathia, iconic America is yours to grab hold of - or at least see for yourself. Interested in a richer, more nuanced story of the country? Your guide will be able to take you through the museum focusing on segregation, immunisation and medical advancement, or breakthroughs made by women in math, science, photography, and textiles.
Next, your guide will take you to the National Museum of Natural History, which opened in 1910 and is home to one of the largest global teams studying the natural and cultural history of our beautiful planet. Along with its world-class research facilities, the museum houses a mix of permanent and temporary exhibits, which explore the history of the natural world – from dinosaurs and mammals to volcanic rock, meteors, and rare gemstones.
Your guide will take you through the museum’s must-see spots, but be sure to let them know if any of the exhibits are of particular interest, as they’ll be happy to tailor the tour to suit your curiosity.
Your tour ends inside the Museum of Natural History, where you will be able to continue exploring at your leisure.