The Best of Savannah Private Tour by Foot
Savannah is packed with rich historic character, not all of it on the Main Drag and your Half Day Highlights Tour will take you to the heart of it. On your private tour, you will:
- Explore in the historic district - a handsome quarter with the feel of a bygone era.
- Learn the secrets of the often-haunted mansions and hotels.
- Hear stories beneath the moss-draped oak trees which have earned the city the title of ‘America’s Most Haunted City.
- Walk along the city’s beautiful waterfront and discover some great dining recommendations from your guide.
- Learn the secrets of Savannah across a variety of subjects from its founding history, through the lens of Black history - inextricably tied to the city’s charm, the Civil War, the Revolution, architecture and the role of women, like Juliette Gordon Low.
- Enjoy a snack and drink at one of your guide’s favourite spots - and learn how the city has grown into a hotspot for foodies, mixologists, and craft beer enthusiasts.
Your tour begins at the beginning of the city, where your guide will recount Savannah’s founding and evolution over more than three centuries, remnants of which are present throughout. Savannah’s historic district occupies a 2.2-square-mile area that has been conserved since 1966. Painstakingly restored using olden trades and heritage materials, Savannah’s historic district contains more than 1,100 historically and architecturally significant buildings, including examples of Federal, Victorian Regency, Greek and Gothic Revival, and Italianate architecture. The authentic paint hues of the city form a stunning palette of gorgeous Savannah blues, greens, reds and pinks that are synonymous with Southern charm.
As you pass balconied mansions, dripping with bougainvillaea and share the road with horse-drawn carriages, you’ll experience why this Georgian city is an American favourite. Explore the neatly paved squared, hemmed by grand mansions, adorned with wooden shutters keeping in some of their long-hidden secrets. Your tour ends with a leisurely light bite and drink, where your guide will happily share their favourite hotspots and hidden gems for you to enjoy during the rest of your time in the city.