Private Walking Highlights Tour of Philadelphia
Because Philadelphia is one of America's oldest cities, the historic city preceded cars by several centuries - making it an ideal city to see by foot. On your private walking highlights tour, you will:
- Begin your tour at Philadelphia's Welcome Park, where your guide will help orient you to the city's layout.
- Learn about the city of Brotherly Love's revival in recent decades.
- On the cobblestone roads of Independence Mall, see the US Mint, the Liberty Bell, and a Quaker meeting house.
- Enjoy a Philly favourite - the cheesesteak - at a place recommended by your local guide.
- Pop into Philadelphia's Chinatown, see its' famous 'Friendship Gate' and learn about the city's diversity and immigration throughout the centuries.
- Your tour ends at Reading Terminal Market, filled with locals and travellers alike, where you can return throughout your stay to shop for groceries or dine on-the-go.
Originally founded as a haven for religious freedom by William Penn, Pennsylvania was colonised by French Huguenots, Mennonites, and most famously in the state - Quakers and Amish. The capital city was formed in 1682 and has served as the seat of government ever since. Throughout the centuries, Philadelphia has gone through revivals and slumps - prosperous then seasons of economic free fall. To see the remnants of these boom-and-busts of the city, nothing is better than a privately guided walk of it. On your tour, you will not only check off the highlights of the historic district, but also to fall in love with the city's unique combination of grit and charm.
Please note: this tour still runs in winter, though it will cancel for fresh snow. Year round, we recommend great walking shoes, layers, and water.