Private Walking Historical Ghost Tour of Lahaina
You may have come to the island for lounging beneath palms, hiking craters, and long walks on the beach, but there’s another side to Maui you need to explore to really understand it: its’ haunted history. On your private walking tour, you will:
- Hear tales of kings and ancestral deities, while understanding the importance of the first people’s traditional oral storytelling.
- Learn about the island's of mystical water creatures, who move through underground water tunnels.
- See one of the world’s largest trees - the Lahaina Banyan Tree, which spans more than an acre, and hear how the invasive species is believed to be tied to the God of Death.
- Visit the Old Fort with its imposing walls and hear about the battle of Lahaina - between whalers and missionaries at odds about the native women of the island.
- Stop by the oldest operating inn on the island, once frequented by Frank Sinatra and Spencer Tracy while they filmed "The Devil at 4 O'Clock".
- Enjoy a stunning walk as you learn the island’s haunted history at covered lakes, historic inns, old forts, and the water’s edge.
Your tour begins with the tales of Moku’ula - ‘ghost island’ or ‘death island’ - which was once the ancient Hawaiian capital, where three Hawaiian kings lived and worshipped a lizard goddess. Your guide will talk to you about the history of the island, how the place on which you stand - a barren area was once a great fresh lake, which served as the capital of Hawaii. Learn about King Kamehameha’s unification of Hawaii, of spectral sightings of missionaries and Hawaiian cowboys. Throughout your walking tour, you will learn the history of Hawaii and the impact of colonization, all while hearing the hauntings which surround Lahaina. Whether you’ve spent your life visiting the island or this is your first trip, your private ghost walk will bring to life the mystical history of Lahaina.
Please note: The tour runs when there is light rain, so please wear walking shoes and dress appropriately for walking around outside.