The Best of the Vatican and St Peter's Basilica Private Tour
On this tour of the home of the Catholic Church, you will have the opportunity to visit the important landmarks with major significance to Catholics. Hear about the tumultuous history of the Church and the colourful popes who reside behind these sturdy walls. On your private tour, you will:
- Enjoy the personalised attention of a private tour guide.
- Explore St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in the world, and see the precious marbles and artworks, including Bernini's famed Baldachin!
- Enjoy timed entrance tickets to the Vatican Museums.
- See the Highlights of the Vatican Museums, including the Pinecone courtyard, The Laocoön, the Room of the Maps, and Raphael Rooms.
- Marvel at the works of Michelangelo Buonarroti, including the Creation of Man and the Last Judgement in the Sistine Chapel, the ‘Sculpture of the Pieta' in St. Peter's and of course the magnificent Dome of the Basilica.
- Your tour ends inside the Vatican Museums, where you can grab something to eat and keep exploring at your own leisure.
Vatican City is considered the centre of the Roman Catholic Church and is undoubtedly one of the most historically and culturally rich cities in the world. As the world’s smallest independent state, situated in the centre of Rome, Vatican City is home to the Swiss Guards – tasked with protecting the Pope; St. Peter’s Basilica – the centre of the Catholic world; St. Peter’s Square – a large plaza situated in front of St. Peter’s Basilica; Sistine Chapel – the official residence of the Pope; and Vatican Museums – home to paintings and sculptures collected by the Popes for hundreds of years.
The stunning St. Peter’s Basilica is the centrepiece of Vatican City, and its huge dome can be seen on the Roman skyline from most points in the city. Although not the mother church of the Catholic Church, it is its largest and holiest shrine and an important place of pilgrimage.
Then, your comprehensive tour of Vatican Museums will whisk you through the entire complex. Begin with a stroll through the impressive Belvedere Courtyard, before exploring the many rooms and galleries of the museums. Explore the Gallery of Tapestries, and the Gallery of Maps, and be mesmerised by Michelangelo’s great frescoes inside the Sistine Chapel.