Private Day Trip to the Valley of Kings: Newgrange and Boyne Valley
There are few areas in Ireland, if not Europe, that is so steeped in history and intrigue as the Boyne Valley. A tour for history buffs, first-timers and families alike, take a road trip from the prehistoric to the medieval and beyond.
- Travel in the comfort of a private vehicle and in the company of a local expert guide
- Find yourself in awe at the truly bizarre and unexplained on a guided tour of Newgrange and Knowth Neolithic passage tombs.
- Immerse yourself in the religious history of Ireland, which saw one of its most significant moments at the Battle of the Boyne.
- Relax on a scenic drive through the Irish countryside, with flexible lunch break options (including lunch in a traditional Irish countryside pub or a visit to Slane Castle).
- Visit the Battle of the Boyne Parklands and Gardens.
- Enjoy an easy journey back to Dublin, with drop off at your hotel or somewhere central of your choosing.
Note: This tour is only bookable online for up to 3 guests. For larger groups, please get in touch with us.
First, you will be picked up from your accommodation by your guide in a private car and taken on a short drive to the world-famous Neolithic site of Newgrange. Older than Stonehenge and the pyramids of Giza, this ancient site consists of enormous circular mounds flanked by a ring of heaped stones. Most impressive of all is the underground stone passageway, leading to a number of interior rooms that historians today remain unable to fully explain. In between visiting the nearby visitor centre and taking in the view, your guide will regale you with the myths and legends surrounding the area.
Your guide will then take you to the infamous battleground of the Battle of the Boyne—one of the definitive and most symbolic battles in Irish history. It saw the Catholic James II pitted against the Protestant William III. The latter’s victory goes some way to explaining the subsequent strength of Protestant belief in Ireland and is to this day used as a rallying cry on both sides during religious disputes.
Please note: Universal access is limited at the Newgrange monuments, please contact us before booking if you require special assistance or if you have mobility issues.