Discover the Origins of Shanghai: Private Walking Tour with tickets
Explore the origins of Shanghai, the mesmerising city by the sea, on this fascinating private walking tour, including all skip the line entrance tickets and public transport. On your private tour you will:
- Enjoy the personalised attention of your private, English speaking expert guide.
- Discover the oldest parts of this very modern city and learn about the rich trading families that built it.
- Start on the ‘Ancient Corner’ of the Qiao Family’s Road.
- Saunter along Heavenly Light Lane – the first road in Shanghai to have public street lights.
- Tour the Old City God Temple (tickets included) and learn about the importance of the gods to the people of Shanghai.
- See the public and private sides to Shanghai as you encounter traditional local communities.
- Explore the laneways on Anren Street and leave the tourist path behind.
- Browse the colourful Flower and Bird Market.
- End your tour at the idyllic Yuyuan Garden and Bazaar.
Shanghai is legendary as China’s largest, most highly populated, contemporary city, famous for its glamour, its massive trading port and its highrises; truly a melting pot of modern sights, smells, sounds and people. But this city has its own fascinating history and traditions – which you’ll discover on this immersive and fascinating private walking tour.
You’ll start on ‘Ancient Corner’ – as its name suggests, it is the oldest corner of the city and part of the Qiao Family’s Road. The Qiao family was the city’s richest trading family, and this road was at the original heart of Shanghai with important temples to the Medicine God as well as the very first local government buildings.
Next, your knowledgeable guide will lead you to ‘Heavenly Light Lane’ which was the first street in Shanghai to receive public street lights. It is said that the locals believed the light was sent from heaven to guide people home safely. The Old City Gods were and remain hugely important to the people of Shanghai – and you’ll learn all about them as you tour the Old City God Temple (skip the line tickets included). These gods are viewed as patron saints in Taoism, and the temple itself was built to protect the people of Shanghai. It enjoys a high status in the city, and there is an old saying that says ‘he who fails to reach the temple fails to reach Shanghai!’
Finally, watch the tourist crowds fade away as you head off into the laneways on Anren street to see traditional Shanghainese community living, which has disappeared in most other parts of the city. End your tour at the vibrant Flower and Bird Market and the beautiful Yuyuan Garden and Bazaar, which you can explore at your leisure.